Types of licenses

A private pilot certificate (PPC) allows you to pilot a balloon by yourself. You are not allowed to charge for your services however.

A commercial pilot license (CPL) allows you to charge for your piloting services.

How to get your license

Australia’s ballooning is regulated by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA). You must follow their guidelines to receive your licenses.

To achieve your private pilot certificate, you must become a member of the Australian Ballooning Federation (ABF). There are several memberships options, but you must choose the “Certificate Membership” in order to apply for your Student Pilot Certificate, which is needed to gain your Private Pilot Certificate.

If you have any questions surrounding this process, contact them.

To obtain your commercial pilot license, you must pass six written exams issues by CASA on the following topics:

The passing mark for each examination is 75%. For further information regarding this process, visit their website.